What is the use of noun in a sentence : Noun is a common topic of English Grammar, anything we mention by names it may be a person, place or object. In simple word, nouns are words that provide name to people place or an abstract ideas or thought.
Noun is very basic topic in English grammar. There are certain rules which are very important to know if you are preparing any competitive exam you must know these rules with examples. In this article you will learn the correct Use of Noun in Sentence.
Definition of Noun with Example
Definition: A noun is a word that suggests the name to people, places of things; they can also refer to ideas and other abstract objects.
- A Person i.e. (Man, woman, girl, doctor, nurse, neighbor etc.) these are nouns refer to persons.
- Referring to things i.e. (Building, classroom, notebook, eraser, desk, pen etc.)
- The noun which refers to the ideas, quality or an abstract ides are-(Truth, vice, virtue, danger, birth, joy, happiness etc.)
Correct Uses of Noun in a Sentence
There are certain rules that you must know for the correct use of noun. Important rules are mentioned below that will help you to identity the noun and to use it properly in a sentence.
Rule No 1. Some noun in English grammar looks like singular but these nouns are actually plural in meaning. And a plural nouns take plural verb in sentences. You must remember this nouns to avoid any mistake while using in a sentence. Nouns which seems to be singular but they are plural and take plural verb, are mention below.-
Such nouns are-
- People, cattle, infantry, peasantry, police clergy, gentry etc.
- There are no gentry in the village.
- Police have arrested the robber.
- Our infantry have marched forward
- People do not like to be kept waiting
Rule No 2. As we know some noun looks singular but they are actually plural in meaning. In the e same way, some nouns are seem to be plural but they are singular in nature and takes singular verb.
|News, billiards, mathematics, physics
|What is the latest news? (not are )No news is a good news ( Not are)
|Innings, rickets, measles
|His innings was match winning (not were(
|Droughts is an interesting game.( not are)
|Ethics demands honesty in working.
Important rules you must know
Rule No 3. Some noun is treated as singular and takes singular verb. Collective noun such as a group of people or things. So Group is a collective noun. And take singular verb for example- a group of people was standing at the road side. (Not were).
Collective nou.n are-
- A herd ( Herd is as group of cattle)
- Flock ( a group of sheep is called flock)
- Regiment ( number of soldiers work together call regiment consider as a singular)
For Example: a flock of sheep was grazing in the meadow. In this sentence we can not use plural verb “were” because Flock is a collective name.
But sometimes when we talk about a member of the group separately then a plural verb is used. For example: The audience is requested to leave by the nearby exit.
Rule No 4. Some uncountable nouns are always use d in singular. And we can not use a and an’ article before these uncountable singular noun. These nouns are-
- Knowledge, information, furniture, business, language, advice, stationary, luggage, baggage, scenery etc.
These nouns are always singular in nature. For example:
- The furniture is to be delivered today.( not are)
- The scenery of Switzerland is very beautiful. etc
Rule No 5. Two components when applied together. Mean the two things which are always mention together. For example scissors, shoes, gloves, etc are singular.
- this pair of scissors belongs to him (correct)
- this pair of scissors belong to him.(incorrect)
In this sentence scissors is a pair of things it is consider d as a singular noun so the verb use must be singular. In the second sentence belong is used that is why the sentence is incorrect.
Example of noun in a sentence
6. The words like a lot of; a great deal of plenty of, some of and most of can be used as singular as well as plural. But when this noun refers to the quantity it is considered as singular. And when they refer to number it is used as plural. for example
- A lot of people prefer tea to coffee.
- There are plenty of opportunities for well qualified candidate.
- There is plenty of hotels in this city.
7. The noun Mathematics and economics is considered as a singular noun when it refers to subject. For example: Mathematics is an interesting subject. Here in this sentence mathematics is a singular noun. It refers to the subject of mathematics.
But mathematics is also consider e d as a plural noun when it talks about some mathematical calculation in the same way the word economics also. For example: The area of the land is 500 square feet, if my mathematics is correct. In this sentence mathematics refers to the mathematical calculation so mathematics takes plural verb.
8. Some nouns are always remaining in plural forms. These nouns are very important to remember so that you can correctly use of noun in a sentence.
These nouns are.-
9. Deer fish, family, team, counsel, swine etc. They have no particular form we can use these in singular form as well as in plural form.
- Our team is best
- Our team are preparing for the match.
In the first sentence team is use d as singular and in the second sentence team is use as a plural for.
Noun examples sentences: Thus, from the above discussion it has been clear that nouns are those words that refers to the name of an object person place etc. there many rules of uses of noun in a sentence. Among them we have discussed some important rules of noun in English grammar. That you must know for correct use . It is important to know for the any competitive exams also. Please visit Rules of Tag Questions in English Grammar.