Each word in English sentences is known a part of speech. Noun, Pronoun, Adjectives, Verb, Adverb, Determiner, Preposition, conjunction, interjection, any one of these English words is a part of speech.
We use different types of words to build a meaningful sentence. In order to construct good sentences, it is very important to recognize parts of speech. There are four basic parts of speech that cover the most of the words in English language. These are Noun, Adjectives, Verbs, and Adverbs. Verb is the king of all the words is English language.
Words and their use
Each kinds of word has its own work, some English words express actions, some words express things, others words connects one word to another words. The different parts of speech along with its job have been discussed here.
Verb: (words express action)
- Give- He gave me a pen.
- Eat- We eat mangoes.
Noun: (Words expresses things)
- Computer- I bought a new computer.
- Football- They plays football everyday.
Know more: Noun & Its types
Adverb: (Words tells more about verbs, adjectives or another adverb)
- Slowly – An old man walks slowly.
- Fast- The horse can run very fast.
Adjective: (Word adds meaning to noun or pronoun)
- Black- That is a black bird.
- White- Milk is white.
Preposition: (words used before Noun/pronoun to express relation to other words)
- To- he is going to school.
- By- Men cross the river by boat.
Pronoun: (Word replaces noun)
- He- he is an honest man.
- We- We write with a pen.
Conjunction: (Words connects one word to another word or sentences)
- But-The man is poor but he is ill.
- Because- He can not run because he is weak.
Interjection: (Words expresses feelings)
- Alas! – Alas! He is no more!
- Ah! – How high the hill is!
The term “Word Class” is also used instead of Parts of speech. The 8 parts of speech are as in the following.
Know more: Pasts of Speech